“This was my Dad’s recipe and one of our family’s all-time summer favorites.”
This cucumber salad is very tasty! I salt my cucumbers for a bit and then drain them. You always have to drain the liquid off the cucumbers. The salt is what makes the cucumbers soft and salt-flavored. Delicious!
I’m the person who submitted this recipe and I appreciate all the feedback, both positive and negative. I use the largest cukes I can find and use the full tablespoon of sea salt because “water follows salt” (think “Osmosis”). Adding salt to cukes, zucchini, etc. will help dry them out. You most certainly can decrease the amount to suit your taste but as the majority of reviewers mentioned: you MUST drain the cukes thoroughly or you’ll end up with a runny mess. I like the idea of using a salad spinner (an item I don’t have) but I have to rely on time and patience when I make this (or squeezing by hand if I’m in a hurry and they’re still too wet after 30 minutes). I’m glad that most of you have enjoyed this recipe, and I also enjoyed seeing some of the twists on it.
Don’t forget to drain the cucumbers! I used cucumbers from our garden. Follow the steps EXACTLY, especially the draining part. I put mine in a salad spinner, which automatically caused a separation between the cucumbers and the brine. I also waited the full 30 minutes indicated. I also added a sprig of fresh tarragon that I chopped up and it added an amazing flavor. I made it a bit last minute so I wasn’t able to keep it in the refrigerator the full two hours, but it tasted great after cooling for 45 minutes. The incredible thing about this salad is how crispy the cucumber remained, even the left overs we ate the next day.. I’ve made it twice already; my husband loves it.
• 4 large Cucumbers
• 1 medium Sweet Onion
• 1 cup Mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup White Sugar
• 1/4 cup White Vinegar
• Salt and Pepper to taste.
• Wash, peel and thinly slice 4 large cucumbers. Use a mandoline for uniformity.
• Thinly slice 1 medium sweet onion.
• Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a ceramic, glass or plastic bowl that has a lid.
• In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Mix until smooth.
• Turn the mayonnaise mixture into the cucumber and onion mixture, combine well.
• Salt and pepper to taste.
• Cover with a lid, shake lightly.
• Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours (overnight works well).
• Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 6 servings of Creamy Cucumber Salad